Men's Garden Club of Albany

A brief history of the Men's Garden Club

Pink Rose

The Men's Garden Clubs of America was formed in 1932. It grew rapidly, and in 1993 it altered its bylaws to break the organization into two suborganizations - the Gardners of America and the Men's Garden Clubs of America (TGOA/MGCA).

The Albany branch of the Men's Garden Club began in 1935 and has operated continuously ever since then. Among the many activities performed by club members are:

  • Gardening From the Heart. Nearly every Wednesday morning from 9AM to 10:30AM club members gather at the Center for Disablity Services and work with the center's customers on various gardening and art projects. All participants agree that this one of the most heart-warming activities of their busy lives.
  • The club maintains a Memorial Garden for all it's past members at the site of the Albany County Cornell Cooperative Extension in Voorheesville.
  • Each year the club runs a booth at the HVCC Garden and Flower Show and the Altamont Fair.
  • Flower beds are maintained both at the Albany Airport and along side Rt 90 near exit 7.
  • Each year the club awards a scholarship to a promising horticultural student
  • Monthly dinners held at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel. Each dinner is accompanied by a session afterwards given by a guest speaker on a wide variety of horticultural and timely topics.
  • A summer picnic held at the site of the Albany County Cornell Cooperative Extension.